My photo
My practice encompasses a variety of experimental processes that animate both natural and constructed environments, seeking to form connections between culture, nature and place. I am concerned with how physical, tactile interactions in nature can shape our inner experiences and understanding of the world. I currently live and work in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Snow Drawing on Cottonwood at the Helen Schuler Nature Centre




I went down to the Helen Schuler Nature Centre in Lethbridge Alberta and found this dead cottonwood that would work well for an intervention. It was minus 12 degrees celsius. Snow began falling as I packed snow onto the surface of the tree. The snow was reluctant to stick but with some time I was able to get it to stay. The drawing process was an organic response to the limitations of the snow adhering to the tree and to line, form, context and space. The drawing evolved from simple lines and modular shapes that I refined with a stick to eventually become a connected form.

1 comment: